This project has been funded with support from the European Commission.
This web site reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.
Type of Product
- Diagrams and graphs
- Web Site/Portal
Language Skills Developed
Transferable/Scientific Skills Developed
Revise the exponent rules Know how to draw the Graph of an exponential function know the characteristics of the graph of an exponential function
This teaching resource takes into consideration general, linguistic and subject specific aims.
The general aims are the following:
- Make cross - curricular links combining maths with science
- Increase students’ motivation and interest in studying by using clil methodology
- encourage students to develop the ability to think critically
- prepare students for life in a more internationalised society
- Develop the ability to think in English
The linguistic aims are the following:
- enable students to develop language skills which emphasize effective communication
- motivate students to learn English by using it for real practical purposes
- Promote the learning of a more extensive and varied vocabulary
The subject specific aims are the following:
- understand the meaning of exponential growth
- understand the exponential rate of growth
- Learn how to graph an exponential function
- Learn the characteristics of the graph of an exponential function
The Target group age: this activity is for students of the fourth year of high school from 17 to 18
the Level of competence in English (CEFR) should be B1 at least
The Time required to use the resource with the students: 2 h
How to use it:
In this web site there are some worksheets that can be used in order to introduce the exponential function.
The teacher should divide the class in small groups and give 5 worksheets to the students in order to let them plot the exponential function graph in the three cases (a>0, 0
Strength: students can: - revise power properties - revise how to work with rational exponents - learn how to graph an exponential function by points - this resource can develop reading, speaking and team working skills - It's a web site by a Canadian teacher: you can compare what students do in other countries - It develops critical thinking skills - It improves collaborative learning - It helps the teacher to use constructivist strategies - Key words are underlined Weakness: - It does not introduce the e – number - It doesn't underline the difference between exponential and polynomial growth Scientific reliability: this resource has a good reliability Pedagogical value: self - directed learning (after the lesson, the students must study the characteristics of the graphs) and collaborative learning
Related Video Lessons